Heavenly Art Gallery
"I adore anything to do with the arts!"
Welcome to the Gallery! My collection features images of the real people portrayed in "Heavenly Creatures", as well as some exclusive behind-the-scenes photos taken during the creation of the film.
The Way They Were - Early pictures of Pauline and Juliet
Where Are They Now? - Hilary and Anne
The Trial - Diary excerpts and news photos
On The Set - Backstage "snaps" of HC
Special Material - Unique odds 'n ends
T H E W A Y T H E Y W E R E
- A rare photo of her at age 5 with some of her schoolmates.
- Contemporary newspaper account featuring a prominent picture of 15-year-old Juliet (it has been debated whether this is her "mug shot" - personally I think not).
- Pauline's mug shot from the NZWW magazine spread (see "P & J Today") - enlarged and "straightened" for greater appreciation.
- The famous school photo of Pauline and her classmates, taken 9 months before the murder. As with so much else, the recreation of this photo in "Heavenly Creatures" was remarkably accurate.
W H E R E A R E T H E Y N O W?
- I used to have a photo of the recently rediscovered Pauline Parker as she appeared in the Jan. 1997 issue of NZ Women's Weekly. Unfortunately, the author of this article sent me some rather petulant emails insisting I remove this material (as well as the text of the article). I had no choice but to comply. You can still get the story from this page however. And if you just have to know more... simply email me.
- Another page from the Women's Weekly, showing Hilary (Pauline), Anne Perry, etc.
- Anne Perry at her home in Portmahomack, Scotland - 1995.(Photo: Jonathan Player, New York Times)
T H E T R I A L
O N T H E S E T
S P E C I A L M A T E R I A L
- Here are some recent photos of Melanie Lynskey from "Lynskeyium2005" (Joseph Taylor). They're on the large side, about 100k each. Pictures one and two show her attending the 2004 WB Rock The Vote Party. Three and four were taken at the world premiere of 'Sky Captain & The World Of Tomorrow'. These are large, hi-res images and are about 100k each. Check out Joseph's fantastic on-line Mel shrine, Loving-Lynskey!
- Wedding at Ilam! the Ilam estate is available for private functions, and Michael and Tessa Smith were married there. They were kind enough to share these photos with me. I've included similar views from the film.
- Here are a couple of montages made by Stephen around 1998. (They make great desktop wallpaper!) Collage 1 - Collage 2
- Here are two snapshots taken on the set of Melanie Lynskey's indie film from 1999, "Foreign Correspondents". Many thanks to director Mark Tapio Kines for sharing them with me! The first photo is here, the second one is here.
- My crowning artistic triumph! The "Heavenly Creatures Montage" comprises twenty-two images from the film blended together in an exquisitely rendered tableau. Try it as a startup screen!
- Laurin M. McNiff made a montage of her own... then another. Check 'em out!
- NEW! Here's a very Borovnian-looking animated character contributed by Marie Braden.
- Illustration from 1965 book, "The World's Worst Murderers" - a real "artist's misconception" of the murder scene.
- Cover (small) and larger view of The Evil Friendship by Vin Packer, a "pulp" fictionalization of the case published in 1958. Listen to a fascinating interview with the author on the U.S. public radio show Fresh Air here. (RealPlayer required).
- A weirdly airbrushed HC newspaper ad - Invasion of the Kate Winslet's Body Snatchers! Also available: notes and comments from Jean "Orson Welles" Guerin regarding this and the next ad!
- Another noteworthy Heavenly ad featuring a "Hideous" figure near the bottom. It's not Jean Guerin, though!
- My treasured soundtrack cover (signed by Peter Jackson himself!)